Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What is the point?

Really, I wanna know. I'm totally willing to learn new stuff and even enjoy it but sometimes my brain can't grasp certain things that seem like they should be easy. What the heck is the point of a blog? Is it really what I hinted at in my first posting? Is it really just a way to tell the world "Here I am!"?

I can understand keeping a journal of your thoughts...ok keep a journal. I can understand email...keeping connected by easier means than snail mail or even the phone sounds good to me. I can even understand setting up something in MySpace to try and meet up with long lost friends.

What the heck am I missing here??
Eagerly awaiting enlightenment......................

4 comments:

Laura Warren said...

Dear Eagerly Awaiting,

Don't worry you aren't missing anything and guess what you arrived! You now have a blog!

As to the importance of blogs. People do read trade blogs, such people in specific industries for information. And some people just like to blog, like others like to talk. So there you go, blog, blog, blog!

Laura
DB

Constance said...

First off, great blog. You raise some great questions. As a writer, I have wondered about this particular exercise and the nature of blogging in general. As for the exercise, who exactly is our audience for our blogs? I guess it is each other and so we have a built-in resource for questioning, practicing, figuring stuff out, and learning to step outside our comfort zones to share in a new medium. For libraries, I can see a value in the blog for sharing new (or old) movies, books, music, information souces, etc. With the blog you develop a participatory audience that shares your interests (and may or may not turn to the blogger as a resource or expert on whatever the subject of the blog may be). For example, librarians could use the blog for readers advisory. Well, that's just my two cents.

dulcigal said...

Heyho!

Those are, indeed, very good questions. Some of the point of krl2.0 is to let staff practice some technologies that are similar to technologies in KRL's future. To become familiar now will make the transition much smoother. Not every tech thing will be awesomely appealing to everybody. It's ok if blogging seems like a snore!

I'm on the krl2.0 team and have been surfing around the blogs. One of the things I've most appreciated is the "conversation" that's happening, just as it is here.

Hope that answers at least a little bit.

Susan/PT

Immigrant said...

Dear Eager,
Part of our 2nd week assignment is to comment on a blog. You're the lucky winner. I've been cruising the blogs trying to find one that speaks to me. Yours does. I'm in agreement with you on the importance of blogs. My question, as I'm reading these, is "If this is the future,that is technoogy from home, where DO libraries fit in?" Horse