Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Week 3: Tagging: Friend or Foe?

Well, this has been an interesting assignment. If nothing else, I found out how out of control my 'Favorites' had become on my computer.

After setting up my del.icio.us account I chose the option of transferring the list of favorites from my computer into my del.icio.us account. It seemed like it was taking awhile. When it finally completed the task I saw that over time I'd collected 348 favorites onto my computer. OH MY! What was even scarier was seeing some of the sites I'd marked. Sure the sites themselves were fine (well, most of 'em) but I realized that in at least one way I've become my mother! I spent my childhood picking on her about her obsession with shoes. What happened to me??? Is it hereditary??

Sorry, I digress. Anyway.............
I'm kinda having fun going through all my old favorites and giving them tags. I really think it will make it easier to search through them all. It was always a bit difficult to figure out which folder to put a site into when it seemed to fall under various categories. For instance: do I put the 30 different candy sites under BUY or CANDY or FOOD? Yes, I have all those folders. As time went on I started putting folders in folders in folders....confusing and time-consuming to track things down again.

There's still too much information to digest for me to come up with useful ideas on implementing this at work. It will be fun to look at other's blogs to see what they say.

Question for ya concerning the assignment for this week. Here's a quote from the training about tagging:
"As you save sites into your account, notice who else has saved them and the
tags they use. Remember you can use their tags or create your own. You can also
explore their sites to see what else you have in common. "

SO this is how I was doing it. Let me know if it's correct or if there's an easier way.
Click on the drop arrow next to the del.icio.us button on the toolbar
Choose 'more about this page'
Click on one of the entries in the 'common tags' section to view similar sites

Time for sleep. I must get nestled, all snug in my bed, while visions of tags dance through my head
.

3 comments:

krl2pt0 said...

About your question -- the steps you described are one way to get info about who has tagged the specific site you are on at that time. There is an easier way -- go to "Your Bookmarks" on del.ic.ous. Just below each post/link is a note "saved by 253 other people"; it is highlighted in pink (chartreuse??). If you click on that it will show you a "posting history" and "user notes". you can see what descriptions other people have added about the site and view their bookmarks.
give that a try, see how it works.

Oh, and if those tag visions are still dancing through your sleep next week, let us know -- i think there are support groups, tagging anonymous or something...

bc

Halcyon Nancy said...

I often find my mother in the rear view mirror, don't tell me she is in my favorites too? Composting sites! There she is! Wow...

Constance said...

You can transfer your list of favorites? How did I miss that? I wonder if I can still transfer mine, or is it something you have to do when you open the account? I guess this is what I get for not reading directions and just trying to whip through.